Wednesday, January 30, 2013

PLE Post 3: Creating Productive Learning Environments

Prompt:  

Based on our readings and class discussion, how will you create a learning environment that is conducive to learning?  

Now consider your CSEL case study.  Develop a full continuum of responses for dealing with the misbehavior of your case.  

I want to do everything in my power, as a teacher, to create a learning environment in my classroom that is conducive to learning.  In order to achieve this goal, I must effectively manage my classroom.  One of the class slides indicates that "classroom management is the number one concern of beginning teachers."  I am one of those beginning teachers who is FREAKING out about classroom management.  I am a non-confrontational, smiley, giggly girl, and I worry that these characteristics may make it challenging for me to effectively manage my classroom during my internship year and in my beginning years as a teacher.  I have had this concern for awhile.  So, when I noticed that last week's class discussions would be covering this topic, my ears perked up!  In reading and through class discussion, I have learned that creating a productive learning environment involves: conveying expectations to students, creating an ideal "classroom climate," establishing productive teacher-student relationships, fostering effective communication with parents/guardians, planning, and monitoring behavior.  

I will briefly discuss how I will attempt to achieve each of these objectives...
  1. Convey expectations to students:  I plan to display a short list of positively stated expectations/guidelines for my classroom.  I discuss with my students why each guideline is beneficial.  I want students to know that these guidelines were created to help them learn as much as possible and ensure that everyone in the class is treated with respect.   
  2. Create an ideal "classroom climate:"  I want students to feel comfortable, at-ease, and welcome in my classroom.  I want to decorate my room in a way that it is aesthetically pleasing, but not distracting or overwhelming.  I want to always treat my students with respect and demand that they treat themselves, others, and me with respect as well.  I also want to make sure that each of my students are safe, adequately fed, and cared for.  I want to conduct engaging, productive, and creative lessons.  I want to welcome student questions, input, and commentary (on occasion).  Overall, I want to create a classroom climate that fosters productive "classroom interactions."
  3. Establish productive teacher-student relationships:  I want to convey to my students that I care about, appreciate, and respect them.  I want to be a good listener.  I want to make sure that I do not play favorites!  Favoritism can really detract from learning in my opinion!   
  4. Communicate effectively with parents/guardians:  Just like we talked about in class, I want to keep parents "in the loop."  I want to head Anne's advice and reach out to all parents during the first few weeks of the school year (Call up each parent and introduce myself and tell them at least one thing that I like about their child).  I will make an effort to promptly respond to parent questions.  
  5. Plan:  Anne mentioned that students tend to misbehave most during transition times or times throughout the day when structure is minimal.  I hope to establish routines during transition times (play "heads up seven up" during a lull, write in daily journal right before lunch/encore classes, etc.)  I want to provide enough structure throughout the day so that these transition times and lull times are very short.  If students are engaged in productive tasks, they will be less likely to behave in a disruptive or inappropriate manner.  
  6. Monitor behavior:  In class, we discussed "cueing."  I hope to cue students who are off-task by giving them "the look."  This involves maintaining eye contact with the student to communicate nonverbally that you want them to get back to work or stop what they are doing.  I also want to make sure that each of my student's desks are accessible to me.  I want to be able to walk around the room to determine if students are "on task."  I will tap my finger on the desks of any students who are not "on task" to communicate to them that they need to focus.
In exploring classroom management beyond our text and class discussion, I came across this website (Teaching Channel Classroom Management Techniques).  This site offers FANTASTIC short video clips on "managing transitions, utilizing creative attention-getters, creating a positive classroom culture, etc."  I'm sure that I will refer to this webpage throughout my internship year and early teaching career!  

CSEL Case Study: Full Continuum for Dealing with Misbehavior
  1. First, I would make my proximity and presence known to Lisa and her small group.  I would walk around the classroom, but linger at this group's table during cooperative learning activities.  I would "cue" Lisa when she behaves inappropriately (anger, refusal to contribute, interrupts, failure to pay attention).  
  2. If the strategies presented in #1 fail to change Lisa's behavior, I will conference with Lisa in private about the problem.  In this conference, we would discuss how Lisa's behavior is detracting from learning and cooperation.  I would explicitly explain to Lisa what behaviors must cease.  I also want to explain to Lisa how to behave and interact with her peers (listen, contribute,  let others finish what they are saying before speaking, convey emotions in a positive way, be courteous, etc.)
  3.  If #1 and #2 fail, I would resort to more intensive measures with Lisa.  I would probably call a parent-teacher-student conference.  I would inquire as to why Lisa is behaving in this way.  I would explain to Lisa that the way she is acting during cooperative group work is absolutely unacceptable.  Lisa, her parents, and I would come up with a behavioral contract.  Lisa will refer to this contract during every group work activity.  If she breaks the contract, I will revert to even more intensive measures (explained in #4).  
  4. If Lisa breaks the behavioral contract, I will remove her from her small group.  I will insist that she complete individual work.  My hope is that this strategy will serve as punishment rather than reinforcement for her behavior.  After a few days of working in solitude, I will conference with Lisa about potentially rejoining her group.  

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your continuum of responses, especially #3 and #4! I think a behavior contract is a great idea and would be a great way to keep a student, like Lisa, aware of their behavior when working in groups! I also think you make a good point about taking Lisa out of the group and having her work individually if she cannot cooperate in the small group setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    Your ideas for your classroom are great! I think it's possible to be nice and firm with your rules at the same time. I've had teachers who are very nice and yet who would let the class know we were misbehaving just by saying, "I'm very disappointed in you." It's possible!

    Your continuum of responses look really appropriate for the case study. It will be interesting to see how you continue to develop it as we discuss learning theories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel I think you provided both a great response to how your future classroom will be AND your case study response. I think that it is great that in your case study you provided options as back up plans if the first two dont work! this is such a good addition and can be vital in the classroom setting.

    ReplyDelete