Saturday, March 16, 2013

PLE Post 9: Self-Efficacy and Self-Regulation

How might self-efficacy and self-regulation contribute to the intervention plans you use in your case study?

Elementary Education Case Study:
You engage your third grade students in cooperative learning activities at least twice a day, changing heterogeneous group members once every four weeks.  You have agreed upon routine procedures that your classroom community uses within their small groups, including the roles and responsibilities of group members.  Lately, you have noticed that one small group always seems to have difficulty grasping material and completing their project in an acceptable manner.  You observe this group carefully and find that Lisa seems to be the catalyst for their problems.  She gets angry with others if she does not get the job she wants and refuses to do her part in contributing to the group's learning.  She constantly interrupts others in her group.  She does not pay attention when her group prepares for class presentations. 


According to Ormrod in Educational Psychology: Developing Learners, Social Cognitive Theory is "a perspective that can help us understand what and how people learn by observing others and how, in the process, they begin to take control of their own behavior" (p. 323).  Social Cognitive Theory assumes that individuals with high self-efficacy and the ability to self-regulate will be able to control their behavior and therefore will be able to behave in an appropriate, productive manner.  Self-efficacy refers to individuals' expectations about their ability to successfully complete tasks or attain certain goals.  Self-regulation involves the goals people set for themselves, the way in which people monitor and evaluate their own cognitive processes and behaviors, and the consequences people impose on themselves for successes and failures.

In this elementary education case study, I worry that Lisa is acting out because she is attempting to avoid the academic task at hand.  As a part of Lisa's behavioral intervention plan, I would first identify the reason behind the misbehavior.  If I determine that the misbehavior is in fact an avoidance of the academic task, I will take measures to boost Lisa's self-efficacy in regards to group work.  In assigning Lisa a role within her group, I will make sure that Lisa has the skill set required to complete the role task.  I will then ensure that Lisa understands what measures she must take to fulfill her role within the group.  Once she fully understands her responsibilities, I will encourage her and help her realize that she is capable of successfully carrying out those responsibilities.  In implementing these strategies, I hope to that Lisa's self-efficacy for group projects will increase.  If Lisa believes that she can successfully fulfill her role and contribute to the group, I predict that her "acting out" behaviors will dramatically decrease.

In this elementary education case study, Lisa is prone to angry outbursts during cooperative group work activities.  For this reason, as a part of Lisa's behavior intervention plan, I will work with Lisa on emotional self-regulation.  I will help Lisa deal with her frustrations in a socially appropriate manner.  Because I want Lisa to be able to regulate her emotions and her behavior at school and at home, I will hold a conference with Lisa and her parents to develop a plan for addressing this issue.  During the conference, we will discuss the fact that Lisa is in control of behavior.  I want Lisa to realize, that even when she becomes frustrated or upset, she can still behavior in an appropriate, respectful manner.  In this ARTICLE, Ida Florez emphasizes three strategies that can help children learn to self-regulate.  These strategies include: modeling, using hints and cues, and scaffolding.  After making Lisa aware that she can regulate her emotions and behaviors, I will help Lisa develop her self-regulation abilities by modeling self-regulation, providing her with cues when I feel she is "outburst-prone," and scaffolding.  To model self-regulation, I will demonstrate appropriate behavior even when I feel upset or overwhelmed.  To further help Lisa learn to self-regulate, I will provide Lisa with simple directions, gestures, and touch to guide her behavior, emotions, and attention.  Because I want Lisa to be able to regulate her behavior and emotions on her own, I will gradually withdrawal my supports and guidance as Lisa improves her self-regulation skills (scaffolding).  Hopefully, these measures will prove successful and will result in a happy, effective cooperative learning group.

2 comments:

  1. I agree I think Lisa needs the most help with emotional regulation. I like how you combined the factors that help develop self-efficacy into your self-regulation intervention! I think that these strategies paired together would be really effective in modifying Lisa's behavior in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way you incorporated self-regulation into your intervention plan for Lisa. I especially like that you are involving her parents in the process to modify LIsa's behavioral habits and I think it is really helpful that you are providing a variety of ways that you will aim to teach Lisa self-regulation. Using scaffolding will allow Lisa to eventually be able to self-regulate on her own and will not require you as the teacher to cue her or to model to her how to self-regulate. Great post!

    ReplyDelete